Founded in 1996, Vivo Capital is a healthcare investment firm focused on investing in and building high quality companies in the U.S. and China. With more than $2.2 billion under management, Vivo employs a unique multi-pronged strategy of identifying and working with companies with promising development stage and commercial stage therapeutic products in the U.S. and revenue stage companies in China. Vivo Capital has offices in Palo Alto, California, Beijing and Shanghai, China, and Taipei, Taiwan.
At Vivo Capital, we leverage our internal expertise in evaluating data to generate outsized returns for company founders and employees as well as for our investors. Vivo invests primarily in later development stage pharmaceutical and medical device companies in the U.S. and in revenue stage healthcare companies in greater China. Vivo assists its portfolio companies in both countries in forging cross-border partnerships, enabling the companies to acquire new products and expand the market for their existing products. In addition to making investments in existing companies, Vivo also builds companies from scratch to pursue compelling opportunities together with experienced management teams. Finally, a portion of every Vivo fund is invested directly into public therapeutics companies. Despite its focus on companies with later-stage products, Vivo is willing to work with companies (and their founders) that may not have significant infrastructure. We invest in companies with promising products at all financing stages (Series A to public companies), and work closely with founders and management to complete the development and commercial launch of those products and achieve a successful exit.
Adding Value: Portfolio Synergy, Strategic Partnering and Technology Transfer
After an investment is made, Vivo works closely with the founders and management to build value.
- We work to ensure the clinical development program is optimized in terms of disease indication, protocol design and regulatory strategy.
- Intellectual property (IP) is another key component, and Vivo frequently becomes involved in helping guide the IP strategies of its portfolio companies.
- The final step is to develop a financing strategy with management to ensure the company’s sustainability to an exit.
Vivo’s portfolio encompasses companies in a wide range of therapeutic areas and products. Because the strengths of one portfolio company are often complementary or synergistic with those of another, we encourage communication and potential collaboration among our companies whenever such collaboration makes business sense.
In making investments we emphasize the following criteria:
- The quality of the company’s underlying technology, including supporting preclinical and clinical data
- The market potential of the company’s products
- The strength of the company’s intellectual property
- The strength of the company’s management team